Lebanon, NH 03766-1461
Environmental attorney and corporate counsel - sage, seasoned and strategic.
Peter Van Oot has served as lead counsel on significant development projects, negotiated numerous environmental settlements with the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Justice, state regulatory agencies and third parties, and has successfully permitted numerous large-scale resort, manufacturing, retail and housing projects in Vermont and New Hampshire. He provides strategic counsel to clients, speaks to the regulated community, and testifies before legislative committees on regulatory and environmental issues.
As strategic corporate counsel, Peter serves as outside general counsel to for-profit and not-for-profit corporations and educational institutions, focusing on transactional, governance, political and regulatory matters. He regularly advises his clients and lectures on corporate management and governance topics.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1985
Williams College, B.A., cum laude, 1978
Deerfield Academy, cum laude, 1973
New Hampshire, 1990
- Charter Fellow of the American College of Environmental Attorneys and a member of the American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources and Corporate Governance Committee; the New Hampshire Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee; and the Vermont Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee.
- Named Volunteer of the Year 2011, in the eleven Northeast States by the Northeast Economic Development Association. Peter served as chair of the Judicial Nominating Commission in 2009 and 2014, and was a member of the Commission in 1999. Peter serves on the Professional Responsibility Board of the Vermont Supreme Court.
- Appointed to the Brownfields Task Force by Vermont Governor Shumlin to recommend and support efforts by the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources and the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development to recover “Brownfield” sites across the state in order to clean up the contamination, attract new business development and create jobs. Peter previously served on the Brownfields Advisory Committee to the Vermont Legislature and on the advisory board of Vermont Law School's Environmental Law Center and Land Use Institute. Previously, he also served as a member of Vermont Governor Howard Dean's Council of Environmental Advisors and as a board member and chair of the Vermont Land Trust. He is a past visiting professor of environmental law at Williams College (1999-2003) and was a legislative aide to U.S. Senator Patrick J. Leahy (1980-1985).
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America © 2018
- Pete Van Oot was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for 2017 in the fields of environmental law and land use and zoning law. See profile in NH Magazine.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America© "Lawyer of the Year", Environmental Law, 2017
- Chambers and Partners, 2011-2017
- Peter serves on the boards of directors of The Nature Conservancy – Vermont Chapter, the Upper Valley Corporate Council and the Green Mountain Economic Development Corporation.
- He has served as a director of Chittenden Bank, on the advisory board of the Chittenden Socially Responsible Banking Board and on the executive committee and as president of the Brattleboro Development Credit Corporation. He is a member of the Vermont Community Foundation.
- Previously, he also served on Vermont State Chamber of Commerce Board, as chair of the Vermont Land Trust Vermont, and on Vermont Governor Jim Douglas's Job Cabinet, Vermont Governor Howard Dean’s Council of Environmental Advisors, as chair of the United Way of Windham County and as a member of the board of World Learning, Inc.
Harvard Law School Mediation Course, Fall 1997
Lebanon, NH 03766-1461ph: 603-448-2211