199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Captive Insurance counsel - efficient, effective administrator
Jim Haug has been the Claims Counsel to MPC Insurance, Ltd., an insurer of law firms, for more than 20 years. Jim monitors the defense of claims and litigation, retains and supervises defense counsel and provides liaison among the member firms, counsel, and excess insurers of the MPC firms, ensuring the effective and efficient defense of claims. He also attends Claims Committee meetings and provides recommendations for cases reserves and generally acts as the clearinghouse for all claims related information for MPC, thereby streamlining management of the Company while providing top level claims related services.
Jim assisted with the defense of recent MPC matters including:
- Defense of a complex arbitration before the ICDR in San Francisco. The MPC member firm was accused by its former client, a large pharmaceutical company, of a number of acts of malpractice arising out of the purchase of assets of a smaller competitor. Those alleged errors included failure to conduct adequate due diligence, failure to properly defend an ensuing litigation for wrongful competition, and billing misconduct. The arbitration concluded with an award in favor of the member firm, including a massive award of fees and costs.
- Defense and settlement of a litigation in New York Supreme Court. The member firm was accused of failing to identify potentially winning argument in an arbitration involving rights to a trademark for a well-known brand of alcoholic beverages. This settlement involved coordination with insurers for a co-defendant and with the two lead excess insurers on the MPC program.
- Jim took a leading role in a team charged with managing a two pronged European Arbitration, arising out of a loss in an underlying arbitration. The member firm faced a massive claim from its former client and also cross-claimed for a large receivable. Jim’s role largely involved liaison with numerous excess and reinsurers based in the US, Caribbean and Europe. Jim also coordinated the funding of the settlement and managed the provision of reports by counsel.
- Defense and settlement of one of the largest legal malpractice claims asserted in the U.S. in the late 2000s. The defense effort involved three large law firms in the jurisdictions where the case could have been brought by the former client. Jim’s primary role was to manage communications among MPC, the defense firms, and 20 insurers who held a potential stake in the case. After the case settled, Jim bore responsibility for the mechanics of settlement funding, with just one month to obtain funding from 11 different sources.
Cornell Law School, J.D., 1989 Cuccia Cup Moot Court Champion
University of Pittsburgh, B.A., cum laude, 1986
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1990
U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, 1992
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Standing Committee on Attorney Malpractice
- Vermont Bar Association
- Burlington Country Club, Director
- Town of Williston Recreation Committee, Member
Speaker, Current Trends, American Bar Association Fall 2011 National Legal Malpractice Conference (San Francisco, California, September 14-16, 2011)
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401ph: 802-863-2375