199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Jennifer focuses on solving complex legal problems in state and federal courts and on appeal.
Jennifer is an experienced trial lawyer representing clients at every stage of civil litigation. She has tried cases to verdict in state and federal courts and represented clients on appeal in both the Vermont Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Her law practice includes complex commercial litigation, breach of contract, construction defect, federal preemption, white collar defense, investigations, and municipal litigation matters. She also regularly represents clients in the defense of personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, and other tort claims.
In addition to her practice in state and federal courts, Jennifer handles arbitration proceedings in major arbitral institutions including AAA and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
Jennifer was recognized in 2017, 2018, and 2019 by New England Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star in civil litigation. She serves as deputy Chair of the Government Enforcement and White Collar Defense Group.
- Obtained $3.66 million federal jury verdict in complex commercial case against a party represented by an international litigation firm. Jennifer handled cross-examination at trial of the opposing party’s principal trial witness and made the closing argument on behalf of DRM’s client.
- Lead counsel in high-stakes Second Circuit appeal. Jennifer successfully argued that her client’s facility was entitled to federal preemption and was not subject to local regulations. The Second Circuit affirmed a permanent injunction in favor of her client.
- As lead trial counsel, Jennifer obtained judgment for her client, the defendant corporation, following a multi-day trial in U.S. District Court, District of Vermont in a personal injury/product liability case.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against government officials on the basis of qualified immunity from suit.
- Jennifer was the senior associate and second chair of the litigation team that brought suit against a German industrial manufacturer and its parent corporation on behalf of a Vermont company, alleging breach of contract, fraud, and breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. The claim arose out of a manufacturer’s representative agreement. The suit, which was in the Federal District Court for the District of Vermont, was vigorously litigated, requiring numerous experts, and depositions in California, Washington, Texas, and New York, amongst others. After successfully defeating a barrage of motions filed by the defendants, the case was settled on the eve of trial. The terms of the settlement are required to be kept confidential.
- Assisted in obtaining a multi-million dollar jury verdict for a Vermont ski and snowboard resort in a breach of contract dispute against the Alliance of Action Sports and NBC Universal involving an internationally televised action sports event.
- Obtained the dismissal of a $16 million dollar taxpayer lawsuit against a large Vermont municipality.
- Represented a large Vermont municipality in a complex commercial litigation arising out of a $33.5 million dollar financing of a municipal enterprise.
Vermont Law School, J.D. magna cum laude, 2009 Vermont Journal of Environmental Law (Editor-in-Chief, 2008-2009)
University of Vermont, B.A. 2004
- Vermont, 2009
- U.S. District Court, District of Vermont, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2011
- Vermont Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Advisory Committee
- Chittenden County Bar Association
Listed in New England Super Lawyers as a Rising Star, 2017-2019
- Vermont Family Network, Board Member 2015 - present
- Leadership Champlain, Class of 2013
- Run Vermont, Race Committee Member
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting 2019, Torts Year in Review
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting 2017, Torts Year in Review
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting 2015, Torts Year in Review
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting 2014, Torts Year in Review
- Mansfield Heliflight, Inc. v. Freestream Aircraft USA, Ltd., 2019 WL 5081061 (D. Vt. Oct. 10, 2019)
- Vermont Railway, Inc. v. Town of Shelburne, 918 F.3d 82 (2d. Cir. 2019)
- Jang v. Trustees of St. Johnsbury Acad., 771 F. Appx. 86 (2d Cir. 2019)
- Osier v. Burlington Telecom et al., 2016 VT 34 201 Vt. 483, 144, A. 3d 1024 (2016)
- Pcolar v. Casella Waste Systems, Inc., 2012 VT 58, 192 Vt. 343, 59 A.3d 702 (2012)
- Rathe Salvage, Inc. v. R. Brown & Sons, Inc., 2012 VT 18, 46 A.3d 891, 894 (2012)
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401ph: 802-863-2375