199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Strategic counsel finding creative solutions to complex labor and employment challenges.
Combining his legal training with his experience working with human resource professionals, John Maitland works with clients to develop solutions that integrate legal compliance, good human resource practices and strategic alignment with the organization’s mission.
John knows the practical and legal considerations of both non-union and unionized workforces, and he is able to help employers identify and implement effective resolutions to difficult problems. On a daily basis, John provides counseling regarding best practices for managing difficult employee issues in both union and non-union environments. These situations include responding to allegations of harassment, dealing with employees who are unable to return to work, handling complicated performance issues, or advising on the proper interpretation of the collective-bargaining agreement.
John regularly negotiates collective bargaining agreements for numerous regional health care clients, higher education clients, and other entities by collaborating with senior management and negotiation teams to develop effective strategies for negotiations. He also helps clients manage their daily labor relations activities consistent with the organization’s overall labor philosophy. When the need arises, John provides effective and zealous representation in arbitrations and in front of the National Labor Relations Board.
- Resolved a collective bargaining negotiation with a 3-year agreement, allowing the organization to re-focus its resources on its core business through a collaborative management resolution process.
- Successfully defeated union allegations that the union president had been unlawfully disciplined for his status as a union officer by demonstrating to the NLRB that the union president was disciplined for legitimate business reasons, and so the union withdrew the charge.
- Partners with clients to develop customized, successful labor philosophies. Utilizing his own collaborative process, John helps senior management teams develop effective strategies to resolve challenging labor issues.
- Handles complicated separation of employment matters. Employment transitions are a fact of life and John is often called upon by management teams to facilitate a smooth, respectful and efficient transition process, while also minimizing legal risk.
- John regularly provides engaging and interactive presentations for managers on effective labor relations, performance management, sexual harassment, and leaves of absence. Most notably, John regularly trains managers on the effective utilization of the provisions of a collective-bargaining agreement.
Vermont Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, 1994 Managing Editor, Vermont Law Review
University of Pennsylvania, B.S. Wharton School, B.A. College of Arts and Sciences, cum laude, 1988
New York, 2017
Honorable Denise Johnson, Vermont Supreme Court, 1994-1995
- VBA, Labor and Employment Law Section
- ABA, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Best Lawyers®, Labor Law - Management, Regional "Lawyer of the Year", 2015-2016, 2019
- Best Lawyers®, Labor Law - Management, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2021
- Chambers USA, since 2004
- United Way of Chittenden County, Board of Directors, 2002-09; Board Chair 2007-09
- Visiting Nurses Association of Chittenden and Grand Isle Counties, Board of Directors, 2012 – current; Board Chair, 2015 - current
- YMCA, Board of Directors, 2013 – current
- Numerous each year – VHRA, RVHRA, ASHHRA, SHRM
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401ph: 802-863-2375