199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Joe Gortych is a highly regarded and successful intellectual property attorney, as well as business owner. Having owned and operated Opticus IP for twenty years, Joe’s IP practice focuses primarily on optics, photonics and imaging technologies, and encompasses all aspects of patent work for complex inventions in this arena, including the software, algorithm and image processing aspects of optical systems and devices. Specific technologies include everything from quantum optics to lens design.
Joe continues to work flexibly with all kinds of optics-based technology enterprises, from start-ups to fortune 500 companies, and to tech transfer offices of academic institutions. He meet clients’ IP needs in a cost-effective and strategic manner. In the past, Joe has worked as an outsourced in-house IP counsel for optics-based start-ups and continues to offer this service where a highly integrated and seamless relationship is desired.
Joe’s philosophy and approach to IP and patenting in technology business is laid out in detail in his book "Consider a Spherical Patent -- IP and patenting in technology business," published by CRC press and available on Amazon. His book offers a business-oriented approach that seeks to optimize business value based on the organization’s overall IP strategy and business goals.
- Infringement/non-infringement, validity/invalidity analysis and opinions, Freedom to Operate (FOP) studies, especially for complex optical technology patents.
- Prior art searching and analysis for patentability and for infringement/non-infringement and validity/invalidity analysis.
- Counseling on trade secret rights, including how to properly maintain and protect trade secrets, including how to safely interact with outside entities with respect to trade secrets. Analysis/evaluation of potential trade secret violations.
- IP transactional matters, including patent licensing and NDAs.
- Patent application drafting and prosecution
- Coordination and management of US and international patent portfolios
- IP due diligence and IP analysis in connection with IP-related transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions.
- Counseling and direct assistant in implementing IP best practices.
- IP education
- IP and patenting strategy counseling
- Strategy-driven patent portfolio generation
Vermont Law School, J.D.
Institute of Optics, University of Rochester, M.S. Optics
Cook College, Rutgers University B.S. Physics. George H. Cook Scholar
- Vermont 1997
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Fellow, Optical Society of America
- Member, SPIE, the International Society for Optics and Photonics
Consider a Spherical Patent -- IP and Patenting in Technology Business, published by CRC /Taylor & Francis, 2014 - Provides key insights and perspectives on the reality of how patents are used and abused in technology business. Learn about IP Black Holes, the Coefficient of Shame and Bureaucratic Quantum Tunneling in this engaging work that sheds light on patents in a unique and non-boring way.
Legal Lens Anthology - Essays on Intellectual Property, published by the Optical Society of America, 2003 - A collection of essays on various topics relating to intellectual property for business, originally published as separate articles in "Optics and Photonics News" (OPN) of the Optical Society of America.
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401ph: 802-863-2375