199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Business law attorney, providing strategic advice to business owners, investors and technology companies.
Tom Moody advises business owners, investors and technology companies in a variety of organizational and transactional matters. In his thirty year career as a business attorney at Downs Rachlin Martin, Tom has served as counsel to investors and lenders, and has advised many small-to-medium sized businesses. Tom is a strategic thinker who brings creativity and business sense to his work.
Tom’s practice includes the formation of corporations and LLCs, a wide variety of debt and equity transactions, including venture capital transactions, mergers and business acquisitions, and executive compensation. Tom is recognized in the Burlington area business community as someone who connects people, and engages in the creation and building of strong businesses, with the ultimate goal of creating good jobs and making this part of Vermont a better place to live.
Tom is Co-Chair of DRM’s Business Law Practice Group and, since 2006, has served as Chair of the Business Association Section of the Vermont Bar Association. He is a frequent speaker of business law topics. In his bar association role, Tom engages in revisions of Vermont business laws on a regular basis, working closely with clients, legislators and members of the bar association. In 2015, Tom led an effort to substantially revise Vermont's Limited Liability Company Act. In 2016, he led another effort to update Vermont’s Business Corporations Act. In 2018, Tom played an important role in the drafting and passage of Blockchain legislation, working with House and Senate committees as well as the Vermont Secretary of State and Commissioner of the Department of Financial Regulation. Tom was also actively involved in adoption of statutes governing Low-Profit Limited Liability Companies and B Corps.
Tom recently was named 2021 "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Mergers and Acquisitions by the Best Lawyers Publication. He has been consistently named a "Top Rated" Merger and Acquisitions lawyer by the Super Lawyers publication. In 2015, he was awarded the "President's Award" for "Extraordinary Efforts and Service to the Business Law Section." He is actively involved with several non-profit organizations, including the Green Mountain Bicycle Club, Catamount Outdoor Family Center and the Richard Tom Foundation.
Tom is an avid skier, sailor and cyclist. He has three excellent children and lives in Williston.
- Tom represented private equity firms in numerous convertible debt and preferred stock transactions aggregating over $500 million.
- Represented New England family office in connection with numerous investments and portfolio management issues.
- Acted as counsel to individual investors in connection with the acquisition, financing and build-out of numerous start-up businesses.
- Represented a US industrial products company in a business acquisition and related senior debt, mezzanine debt and equity financings.
- Advised an international outsourcing company in connection with numerous acquisitions, financings and shareholder matters involving transactions in the United States, India, Australia and in the UK.
- Aided a US consumer products company in obtaining substantial investment under federal EB-5 financing/immigration program.
- Assisted a US private equity firm in connection with the formation of offshore investment vehicles.
- Aided a commercial bank in a $1.4 billion syndicated loan transaction.
- Served as special counsel to a renewable energy fund in connection with its sale of a portfolio of 22 hydro-electric plants located in the eastern United States.
Albany Law School, J.D., 1989 Albany Law Review, Editor-in-Chief, 1988-1989
Hobart College, B.A., 1983
- VBA Business Association Section Chair 2006-present
- American Bar Association: Business Law Section, Member, 1990-present
- Green Mountain Bicycle Club, Board Member, 1999-present
- Burlington Criterium, Race Director, 1999-present
- Green Mountain Waterskiers, Member, 2005-present
- Richard Tom Foundation, Founding Board Member
- Catamount Outdoor Family Center, Former Board Member
- Lake Iroquois Association, Former Board Member
Tom is an avid cyclist, alpine skier, water skier and sailor. He enjoys building stone walls, making furniture, painting, playing guitar and spending time with friends and family.
- Awarded the “President’s Award” at the 2015 Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting for “Extraordinary Efforts and Service to the Business Law Section” for leading the drafting, introduction and passage of the 2015 revision of the Vermont Limited Liability Company Act.
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2021 Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Burlington, Vermont.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Venture Capital Law, 2005-2022
- Selected again by New England Super Lawyers® for recognition in the fields: Business/Corporate, and Mergers and Acquisitions, 2013-2020
- Chambers and Partners, 2006-2018
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Selling a Vermont Business: Advanced Issues in Private Sale Transactions (Burlington, Vermont, October 13, 2017)
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Year-in-Review, 2016 Revision of Vermont Corporate Merger Statute (Fairlee, Vermont, October 14, 2016)
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2015 Revisions of Vermont LLC Act; Advanced Issues in LLC Operating Agreements (Stowe, Vermont, September 25, 2015)
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Informational Meeting, H.310, Revised Vermont Limited Liability Act (Rutland, Vermont, June 6, 2015)
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Proposed Revisions of Vermont LLC Act (Killington, Vermont, September 19, 2014)
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Business Law – Year in Review (Fairlee, Vermont, September 27, 2013)
- Speaker, UVM Family Business Initiative, Business Law Considerations for Family Business Owners (November 8, 2013)
- Speaker, KeyBank Symposium, Driving Change at Your Privately Held Business (February 21, 2013)
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Overview of Vermont Business and Corporate Law (August 24, 2012)
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Policy Issues Raised by Contemplated Revisions to the Limited Liability Company Act (Fairlee, Vermont, September 23, 2011)
- Speaker, Vermont Farm Enhancement Viability Program – UVM, Access to Capital for Farm & Food Businesses; Choice of Entity – Implications and Considerations (December 7, 2010)
- Speaker, UVM Invention to Venture Conference, Successful Strategic Partnerships (April 28, 2009)
- Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Year-in-Review & Low-Profit Limited Liability Companies (September 26, 2008)
- Speaker, Vermont Business Roundtable, Low-Profit Limited Liability Companies: Facilitating Program-Related Investments (July 24, 2008)
- Speaker, Vermont Public Policy Committee, Made in Vermont…the L3C (July 7, 2008)
- Speaker, Vermont Center for Emerging Technologies, The Due Diligence Process (April 1, 2008)
- Speaker, Alta Club, Made in Vermont…the L3C (May 15, 2008)
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401ph: 802-863-2375