199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Experienced litigator providing strategic counsel on complex litigation, white collar criminal defense, and government enforcement matters.
Tim Doherty is a veteran litigator and former federal prosecutor who draws from a deep well of trial and appellate experience. He is committed to helping clients navigate the complexities of high-stakes litigation.
Tim’s practice focuses on advising corporations and individuals in matters related to white collar criminal defense, complex civil litigation, antitrust compliance, the False Claims Act, and professional licensing. He also has significant experience in conducting internal investigations, drawing on his years of prosecuting business crimes on behalf of the U.S. Department of Justice.
Prior to joining DRM in 2017, Tim served for a decade as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Vermont. As a federal prosecutor, Tim prosecuted business crimes, including complicated mail, wire, and bank fraud matters, as well as multi-jurisdictional firearm and drug trafficking cases, from the investigation stage through trial, conviction, and appeal.
Before entering public service, Tim was a litigator at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in New York, where he focused on white collar criminal defense and complex litigation.
Tim serves as the deputy Chair of the Government Enforcement and White Collar Defense group.
- Since joining DRM, Tim has represented institutions and individuals in matters involving the United States Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Internal Revenue Service, the United States Department of Labor, the Vermont Department of Taxes, and the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, among others.
- Tim has assisted licensed professionals navigate high-stakes investigations by their professional licensing boards.
- With DRM’s Government Enforcement and White Collar Defense Group, Tim conducted a sensitive internal investigation into a critical student safety issue on behalf of a major Vermont institution of higher education.
- Tim has achieved positive results for high school and university students facing school discipline actions and criminal prosecutions for alleged sexual misconduct.
- On behalf of a large dairy corporation, Tim successfully defended a federal class action lawsuit alleging the mislabeling of food packaging.
- Tim has defended corporations facing government enforcement actions and private lawsuits related to environmental matters, including alleged perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perchloroethylene (PERC) contamination.
- As a prosecutor, Tim partnered with federal law enforcement to investigate a multi-million dollar bank fraud involving a large manufacturing business in northern New England. The prosecution ended with federal felony convictions for the company’s former CEO and CFO.
- Tim prosecuted a complicated, multi-million dollar health care and tax fraud scheme that resulted in felony convictions for the defendants and $4.3 million in restitution for the federal government and Vermont.
- As part of the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s effort to address Vermont’s opioid crisis, for two years Tim was responsible for coordinating all federal opioid investigations and prosecutions in Northwestern Vermont. Tim was also Vermont’s Lead Task Force Attorney for the Department of Justice’s Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force, which focuses federal resources on major drug trafficking organizations, money laundering organizations, and related criminal enterprises.
Yale Law School, J.D., 2003
College of the Holy Cross, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1998
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Peter W. Hall, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2004-2005
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable William K. Sessions III, United States District Court for the District of Vermont, 2003-2004
- Vermont Bar Foundation, Board of Directors
- Vermont Bar Association, Federal Practice Section Chair
- Guardian ad Litem, Vermont Superior Court
- Vermont Bar Association, Board of Bar Managers, 2011-2014
- Center City Little League, Board of Directors
- Champlain Valley Unitarian Universalist Society, Board of Trustees, 2010-2013
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401ph: 802-863-2375